11. He has impressed his employers considerably and _____ he is soon to be promoted.
12. It was a great _____ for him to be pleasant to people he didn’t like.
13. The firemen managed to _____ the fire in time.
14. What is most obvious in this book are all those details of daily living which make Mrs.
Richard _____ common.
A. nothing but
B. anything but
C. above all
D. rather than
15. The car was completely _____ and the driver seriously injured.
A. broken off
B. taken off
C. written off
D. picked up
16. On this happy occasion, I’d like to say that we are _____ much obliged to you for your
A. even so
B. ever so
C. as yet
D. so far
17. His new appointment takes _____ from the beginning of next month.
18. The policeman stopped him when he was driving home and _____ him of speeding.
19. Mr. Smith gradually _____ a knowledge of the subject.
20. My camera can be _____ to take pictures in cloudy or sunny conditions.