1. He has impressed his employers considerably and _____ he is soon to be promoted.
A. eventually B. yet C. finally D. accordingly
2. It was a great _____ for him to be pleasant to people he didn’t like.
A. attempt B. trouble C. power D. effort
3. The firemen managed to _____ the fire in time.
A. extinguish B. prevent C. suppress D. ruin
4. What is most obvious in this book are all those details of daily living which make Mrs. Richard _____ common.
A. nothing but B. anything but C. above all D. rather than
5. The car was completely _____ and the driver seriously injured.
A. broken off B. taken off C. written off D. picked up
6. On this happy occasion, I’d like to say that we are _____ much obliged to you for your kind cooperation.
A. even so B. ever so C. as yet D. so far
7. His new appointment takes _____ from the beginning of next month.
A. place B. effect C. post D. office
8. The policeman stopped him when he was driving home and _____ him of speeding.
A. charged B. accused C. blamed D. deprived
9. Mr. Smith gradually _____ a knowledge of the subject.
A. attained B. achieved C. required D. acquired
10. My camera can be _____ to take pictures in cloudy or sunny conditions.
A. treated B. adopted C. adjusted D. remedied